Re: [ferret_users] dealing with monty-mean time series

Hi Sang-ki,
            I have few suggestions ...

1. Suppose your 'original' dataset is in grib format. In this case
     you have to define and assign a time axis while reading that
     data on to a Ferret session. In this case you can just open
     the NetCDF dataset and use its time axis.

2. Suppose your 'original' dataset is in NetCDF format. To regrid
     this data to the time axis of the second dataset, you can use
     @ASN regridding, which should take minimum time since it does
     not involve any interpolation :

       let err = sst_cdc - sst_org[gt=sst_cdc@ASN]

     You can even save this new regridded variable to a NetCDF file
       for future use (and you can delete the original file only if
       the new time axis is suitable for all your applications)

3. If the 'original' dataset is in NetCDF format, you can even use
     a descriptor file consisting of the time details & path of
     the netcdf file/files so that it have time variables
     (like T0, S_START, S_END, S_DELTA) corresponds
     to the second dataset. In this case Ferret will not bother
     about the time axis/details present in the NetCDF file and
     hence will be the faster method.

     You can get details about descriptor file and tools for
     generating it from the Ferret Mail Archive.

     This will be an ideal solution because the time being spend
     for creating a descriptor file will be worth....you can
     access the same dataset on different time axis without
     costing any extra disk space.

Hope this helps...

Jaison