[ferret_users] how to set missing value on one fixed time

hi, ferreters
   I have a monthly dataset including temp and salt varies with (x,y,z,t). However, there is all zero on one month, such as Dec, 1980.
    How can I set the 4-D variables in Dec, 1980 with missing value, so the calculation should be ignore it.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Dawn