Re: [ferret_users] How to do @rsum and @iin in reverse?

Hi Billy & Steve,

| I have just a few minutes, but maybe can shed a little light on
| this.  I think this is the deal:
|
| The underlying math is simply that
|     INTEGRAL[x to b] = INTEGRAL[a to b] - INTEGRAL[a to x]
|
| The thing is, that this statement is true where x is a continuous variable.
| Here we are on a discretized axis, where each value on our axis actually
| represents a cell.  As you move from low to high along the axis the running
| sum is really the integral across that full cell.  But the coordinate point
| lies in the center of the cell  (ignoring the complexities of irregular cell
| sizes for this discussion).  I've attempted to draw an axis  to illustrate.
| The carets ("^") show where the values is located on the axis in each case.
|
|     direction of integration ==>
|                    |     1    |   2   |   3   |   4   |   5   |   6   |
|     @RSUM                ^        ^       ^       ^       ^       ^
|     "correct"                 ^       ^       ^       ^       ^       ^
[. . .]

I was about to send the following message, which (I think) says
exactly the same thing as yours.  But, I got stuck at the end.
--------------------------------
I think the result Ferret gives is consistent "in a sense".
Look at the attached plot.
Let's assume that your function f(x) is defined as

  f(0.5) = 1
  f(1.5) = 2
  f(2.5) = 3
  f(3.5) = 4
  f(4.5) = 5
  f(5.5) = 6

Then its integral F(x) from x = 0 to x = x is
(or can be defined as)

  F(0) = 0
  F(1) = 1
  F(2) = 3
  F(3) = 6
  F(4) = 10
  F(5) = 15
  F(6) = 21

(F(i) = sum_{1 <= j <= i} f(j-0.5) delta-x .)

Then, the most natural reverse integral G(x) = F(6) - F(x) is

  G(0) = 21
  G(1) = 20
  G(2) = 18
  G(3) = 15
  G(4) = 11
  G(5) =  6
  G(6) =  0

This is what you got, except that you don't have a gridpoint at x = 0.

But . . . this makes me wonder:  Shouldn't Ferret define @IIN at the
right edges of the original gridpoints?  In fact, @IIN is defined
on the same gridpoints as the integrand.
Here's where I got stuck.  So, my tentative conclusion is
that in this sense, @RSUM and @IIN aren't quite equivalent.

Ryo