Re: [ferret_users] projections and multiple input files

Hi ,
Your data is already what we call curvilinear data, where the longitude and latitude fields are defined by 2-dimensional variables. To use a map projection with this kind of grid, follow the instructions in the following FAQ. You are doing the correct thing with respect to the fact that the data is in different files, using the [d=1] on your variable sea_surface_temperature[d=1].

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/graphics/mp_curvi_data.html

Ansley

Martinho MA wrote:
Hello,
I have two files, one includes sst and the other longitude and latitude, see ncdump:
>ncdump -h 200512271200.nc
netcdf 200512271200 {
dimensions:
time = 1 ;
depth = 1 ;
latitude = 1024 ;
longitude = 1024 ;
variables:
short sea_surface_temperature(time, latitude, longitude) ;
sea_surface_temperature:long_name = "sea surface temperature" ;
sea_surface_temperature:units = "K" ;
sea_surface_temperature:scale_factor = 0.01 ;
sea_surface_temperature:add_offset = 0.f ;
sea_surface_temperature:valid_min = 0s ;
sea_surface_temperature:valid_max = 32767s ;
sea_surface_temperature:missing_value = 32767s ;
sea_surface_temperature:_FillValue = 32767s ;
... etc ncdump -h grid.nc
netcdf grid {
dimensions:
latitude = 1024 ;
longitude = 1024 ;
variables:
float latitude(latitude, longitude) ;
latitude:long_name = "latitude" ;
latitude:units = "degrees_N" ;
float longitude(latitude, longitude) ;
longitude:long_name = "longitude" ;
longitude:units = "degrees_E" ;
}

to plot ssh I use fill sea_surface_temperature[d=1],longitude,latitude

But now, I would like to use some map projection... I checked the ferret demo:
http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/Ferret/Demos/mp_demo/mp_demo.html

SO, I think I should so:
SET REGION/X=-15:-8/Y=35:45/l=1
GO mp_lambert_cyl
GO mp_aspect
fill SEA_SURFACE_TEMPERATURE,LONGITUDE[d=1],latitude[d=1]

This isnt working, and even without the projection, I got and error:
fill SEA_SURFACE_TEMPERATURE,LONGITUDE[d=1],latitude[d=1]
**ERROR: illegal limits: "SEA_SURFACE_TEMPERA..." is not in the range X=-15:-8
Axis extremes are X=0.5:1024.5

I guess this is because I have dimension longitude and latitude in my sst variable, and then I want to use longitude and latitude from other file.!?
How can I solve this?
I am quite a basic ferret user, and maybe the question is basic too...

Thanks
MMA