Re: [ferret_users] reading FORTRAN sequential access data - simplequestion

Hi Bob,

FORTRAN unformatted output is not really a standard. It is system and compiler dependent how the concept of a "record" is implemented. So for a start if the data are written on one system architecture and are being read on another then all bets are off.

The second thing is that the existence of the loop in your code shouldn't be a factor in successfully reading the first output record. Reading this first record, alone, should be your first target. See Ch2 Sec4.1.1. "Records of uniform length" in the on-line users guide.

At a glance I think the problem in your command may be that you need to include /COLUMNS=`128*64*19`. (It has been years since I have used this capability.)

yes? file/var=hrmean/grid=gg/type=r8/format=unf/COL=`128*64*19` HRMEAN.sst-2Xna-ctrl-04_001_280_emean.dat

If this works, then move onto the time looping. Define the time axis as part of your grid, but do not change the /COLUMNS argument. /COLUMNS tells how many values are on each record as I recall.

- steve

=================================

Bob Tomas wrote:

Jaison,

I looked at the examples and unfortunately the one provided doesn't address the
case I have because the FORTRAN write is imbedded inside do loops and single array elements are written with each "write". In my case, I write out the whole darn array using a single write.

In Ferret I tried:

define axis/x=1:128:1 x128
define axis/y=1:64:1 y64
define axis/z=1:19:1 z19
define grid/x=x128/y=y64/z=z19 gg
file/var=hrmean/grid=gg/type=r8/format=unf HRMEAN.sst-2Xna-ctrl-04_001_280_emean.dat

show data
currently SET data sets:
1> ./HRMEAN.sst-2Xna-ctrl-04_001_280_emean.dat (default)
name title I J K L
HRMEAN HRMEAN 1:128 1:64 1:19 ...

fill hrmean[k=19]
sfe: formatted io not allowed
apparent state: unit 62 named ./HRMEAN.sst-2Xna-ctrl-04_001_280_emean.dat
lately reading sequential formatted external IO
Abort

Bob