Re: [ferret_users] How to Calulate second order Derivatives

Hi Murali
Ferret does not have a transformation for second order derivatives. The @DDF, @DDB, and @DDC transformations just apply finite difference approximations for the derivatives. It would not be difficult, I suppose, to write an external function to do finite differences of higher orders.  Has anyone done this?

Ansley

Murali Krishna wrote:

Dear Ferreters,

To calculate 1st order differntial expression (¼P/¼x) we are using the function transformations @DDF, @DDB or @DDC. Then how to calculate second order derivative (¼2P/¼x2)? and I saw lot of the people using the @DDC function for both Differential (dP/dx) and Partial Differential (¼P/¼x) expressions. what are the exact transformations to be used to perform these two operations. Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

With Regards,

Murali Krishna

S.Murali Krishna,
Senior Research Fellow,
Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS),
"Ocean Valley", P.B No.21,IDA Jeedimetla P.O,
Hyderabad - 500 055, India. Mobile:09885694594
smkrishna@incois.gov.in