Re: [ferret_users] [Ferret 5.70] define axis

Hi Jimmy,
The values of the coordinates for any axis must be strictly increasing or decreasing. You could use a SORT function on the list of pressure values and define the axis from the sorted pressures. You'll want to study the documentation for sorting; it requires a call to both a SORT and a SAMPLE function, as in the demo at

http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Demos/ef_sort_demo/ef_sort_demo.html

Or, you can define a range of pressure values for the new axis, whatever they should reasonably be, for example

def axis/z/units="millibar" zz={100, 200, 250, 600}

Ansley

jimmyc@iastate.edu wrote:

Hi All-

I am working with sigma coordinate model data. I would like to use pressure as my vertical axis.
I trid using some information from the email archive to no avail.
let plevs= pressure[]
def axis/z zz=plevs
I get the error that says my axis is not able to be defined because it is not monotonic. Is z restricted to be linear?

I would like to use shade to plot the temperature using the model x coordinate and the new pressure coordinate. Is this possibleor do I need to do some trickery?