Re: [ferret_users] integrate vertically to a variable level

Hi Elodie -

In general you can't use @DIN except with a definite value.

There might be another way to do this, but one easy way is to set all values of u_z to zero above the MLD, then integrate to the surface, using a mask:

let zz = z[gz=Temp]
let mask = if zz gt mld then 1 else 0
let u_z_mask = u_z*mask
let um = u_z_mask[z=0:2000@din] ! note if z is positive down, then integrate downward

When doing this, consider the vertical resolution. If the velocity increases towards the surface, the result might be strongly dependent on exactly where you stop integrating. Does the MLD jump back and forth from, say, 20 to 30m? That might make a big difference, and therefore cause a spurious variability. In that case you might want to interpolate your fields to higher vertical resolution before doing this calculation. On the other hand, it might very well be that there is little vertical shear within the mixed layer; in that case the velocity at its base might be essentially the same as that at the surface.

Billy