Re: [ferret_users] **ERROR: feature not implemented: cannot /APPENDwith STREAM format

hello,
Yes, you are correct. One can write these binary files, but not append to them. It is the /APPEND qualifier that is not implemented for /FORMAT=STREAM. I was suggesting that you might do all of the append operations to a netcdf file,

  save/file=clim_sst.nc clim_sst
  save/file=clim_sst.nc/append clim_sst

until all your data is saved, and then if you need the data in stream format,

  cancel data/all
  use clim_sst.nc
  list/format=stream/file=clim_sst.grd/ clim_sst

I don't know if this makes sense for what you are doing, but it is a possible workaround.

Ansley

C. Shaji wrote:
Dear All,
That one worked in Ferret without the append qualifier for me.

list/format=stream/file=clim_sst.grd/append clim_sst !didn't work.

list/format=stream/file=clim_sst.grd/ clim_sst !did work.

Thanks,
C. Shaji.

Hi C. Shaji,
This just cannot be done in Ferret  Any append operation needs to check
the existing file to make sure the new data is consistent and that the
time axis works correctly with the extension, and we have not done this
in Ferret.  You might write the data in netcdf format, using /APPEND
qualifiers, and when you are all finished, read the entire set back in
and rewrite it in stream format.

Ansley

C. Shaji wrote:

Dear All,
I get the following error while trying to write the data to a file.

list/format=stream/file=clim_sst.grd/append clim_sst
**ERROR: feature not implemented: cannot /APPEND with STREAM format
list/format=stream/file=clim_sst.grd/append clim_sst
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

How can I fix the above? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

C. Shaji.