Re: [ferret_users] SHOW AXIS Command : HDF Data file

Hi -
The output of the SHOW DATA command shows that CLIM_SST is a variable, not an axis. Since it looks as if this file can be read by Ferret, you should be able to look at its axes with

yes? SHOW GRID CLIM_SST ! to get a list of the axes of this variable

yes? SHOW AXIS axisname ! using an axis name from the above listing

or use the RETURN keyword, inside grave accents, to get the name into the command

yes? SHOW AXIS `CLI_SST,return=xaxis`

C. Shaji wrote:

Dear All,
I would like to know the X, Y (LON, LAT) axes Information for an HDF data
file.

The SHOW AXIS command does not give the information what I want.
yes? SHOW AXIS CLIM_SST[I=1:8192,J=1:4096]
name axis # pts start end

The SHOW DATA/FULL gives a general information, which is shown below.

How can I know the coordinate information (lat,lon position) for each grid
point represented by the data?

Or Ferret will not give this information for an HDF data file?

Can someone clarify me this?

Thanks in advance,

C. Shaji.

yes? SHOW DATA/FULL
currently SET data sets:
1>
http://data.nodc.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nph-dods/pathfinder/Version5.0_Climatologies/Monthly/Combined/mon
th01_combined.hdf (default)

name title I J K L
CLIM_SST sst data 1:8192 1:4096 ... ...
Degrees C on grid GNO1 with -3 for missing data
X=180E(-180):180W(180) Y=90S:90N
CLIM_STANDARDDEVIATION
Standard Deviation of Mean 1:8192 1:4096 ... ...
Degrees C on grid GNO1 with 0 for missing data
X=180E(-180):180W(180) Y=90S:90N
CLIM_COUNTS
Number of Observations in Mean 1:8192 1:4096 ... ...
Counts on grid GNO1 with 0 for missing data
X=180E(-180):180W(180) Y=90S:90N
CLIM_SST_FILLED
Climatological Mean Sea Surface 1:8192 1:4096 ... ...