Re: [ferret_users] Sverdrup Streamfunction - indefinite integral withirregular boarders

Hi Ansley,

thanks for your answer but something doesnt work properly.

my curl_tau is missing over land, so I don't need the land-mask.

if I define PSI like:

LET PSI = IF curl_tau[x=150E:0] THEN (1/(beta*rho_ocean))*( (-1)*curl_tau[x=150E:0@iin] + curl_tau[x=150E:0@din] )/1E06

the result looks like in the attached image.

The calculation breaks at the boundaries and behind missing values (islands).
I think @iin doesnt like missing values but I dont know how to filter them out
so that the integration would be executed only over non-missing values.

best regards
Theodor

Ansley Manke wrote:

Hi Theodor,
I admit to looking at this just briefly, so I may be missing something. Is your variable curl_tau missing over land? In that case, in your definition of psi you should leave off the ELSE 0. The result will be missing wherever the expresssion curl_tau[x=160E:0@iin] is false. On this kind of definition there is an implied "ELSE missing"

Otherwise you need to apply a mask to the data as outlined in this FAQ about doing integration or averaging over irregular fields by applying a mask;
http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/analysis/avg_integ_irreg.html

For your case the mask would be a field which is 1 over water and missing over land.You could make such a variable from one of the topography data sets, choosing one which has a resolution similar to the grid your data is on

yes? use etopo20 yes? let mask = IF rose[d=etopo20,gxy=curl_tau[d=1]] LT 0 then 1
yes? shade mask ! Look at the plot to check the definition

Dr. Theodor Yemenis wrote:

I am trying to calculate and plot with FERRET the Sverdrup Streamfunction from the wind stress curl curl_tau

acording to the formel:

Psi = 1/beta Int_xlim(y) ^x curl(tau)dx, xlim (y) is the longitude of the boundary at each latitude.

I use the following definition (for the pacific ocean):

LET PSI = IF curl_tau[x=160E:0@iin] THEN (1/(beta*rho_ocean))*( (-1)*curl_tau[x=160E:0@iin] + curl_tau[x=160E:0@din] )/1E06 ELSE 0

fill PSI ; go land

the result is as in the attached GIF-image, but it is not sutisfing. I have the following problem:

- the islands(Hawaii, New Zeland, ...) and the Continent (Australia) disdurb the calculation (no streamfunction behind the land-boarders).
The problem is computing an indefinite integral in an area with irregular boundaries.
How can I solve this? Can someone help?

best regards
Theodor

--------------------------------------
Dr. Theodoros Yemenis
Center for Marine and Atmospheric Research
University of Hamburg
Institute of Oceanography
Bundesstrasse 53
D-20146 Hamburg