[ferret_users] IF syntax

Title: IF syntax

Ferret Users

I don’t know what the correct syntax is for IF …  AND …. THEN logic when using symbols.

It is easy enough when using variables, for example:

Let a = 1

Let b = 1

IF `a EQ 1 AND b EQ 1` THEN SAY both a and b are 1

Works just fine.

But what if I want to use a symbol for one of both of the conditions, for example:

Let yr = 2000

Define symbol seas = djf

Then I want to test if the yr is LT 2000 AND the seas is  DJF.

Another example is if both conditions are symbols, for example:

Define symbol dset = olr1

Define symbol seas = djf

Then I want to test if both the dset is olr1 AND the seas is djf?

What is the correct syntax?

Thanks in advance

Another question for the developers.  I am using ferret in a windows environment and am using the latest version available which is 5.53 for Windows 2000 (5.51 for Windows XP).  This works just fine, but it would be nice to have the latest version available for this platform to take advantage of some of the latest features.

Mark Williams

Regional Director, Victoria

Phone 03 9669 4968

Fax 03 9642 8280