Re: [ferret_users] wire or ppl view or vis5D

Hi Emilie,
The WIRE command is the Ferret call that gives us access to "PPLUS view". 3-dimensional plots in Ferret are limited to this one capability; other software package are really needed to do much with 3-D plots. For a simple example of calling the WIRE command see the script

yes? go wire_frame_demo.jnl

Have you tried the writev5d function in Ferret, to write a vis5d file from your data? There is a page under the on-line demonstrations section of our web pages, http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/Demos/ef_wv5d_demo/ef_wv5d_demo.html

and also a demo script

yes? go ef_wv5d_demo.jnl

And, yes your point about the documentation for pplus commands in the Ferret documentation is very true. We've included the pplus documentation in its entirety, but much of what is there is not directly applicable to PPLUS as it's used from Ferret. This is on our long list of work that needs to be done!

Ansley

Emilie Vanvyve wrote:

Hi again everybody,

I have discovered this morning the WIRE command and the PPLUS view command. It seems to be possible to draw 3D plots with Ferret then. Does anybody have any experience with these?
I searched the mail archive and couldn't find anything. The help about PPLUS view in the PPLUS user guide is quite poor. Would it be possible to get plots slightly similar to the ones Vis5D can produce? I tried in the past to convert my NetCDF files into a format that Vis5D can read, it has never worked.

Thanks for any comment on this,

Emilie

Emilie VANVYVE
Physicist, PhD student

Université catholique de Louvain (UCL)
Institut d'astronomie et de géophysique G. Lemaître (ASTR)
Chemin du Cyclotron, 2
1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Phone : +32-(0)10-473300 // Fax : +32-(0)10-474722
E-mail : vanvyve@astr.ucl.ac.be // Web : www.astr.ucl.ac.be