Re: [ferret_users] vector to raster

Hi Paulo,
This sounds like a problem that could be tackled with an external function.  If you can write a solution in Fortran, counting the number of lon,lat points in each grid box, then it is straitforward to make yourself a Ferret external function. The process of setting up to write and compile external functions is described on our page,
http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/External_Functions/ferret_EF.html

Ansley

Paulo B. Oliveira wrote:
Hi,

I've two (lat/lon) 1D vars with (eventually repeated) geographical positions of interest and want to produce a 2D var equal to the number of lat/lon points nearest to at each grid point of the 2D var. I've been solving the problem with a repeat loop storing and re-reading a file with the 2D var at each step, but the process is desperately slow. Does anyone have hints on ways to speed up the process ?

Thanks,

Paulo.