[ferret_users] Plotting wind data on cylindrical grid

Ferreters,
Questions:
(1) I have interpolated a regular lat/lon grid with resolution of 1.125 deg to a cylindrical grid (dradius = 100km, dazimuth = 5 deg, dpressure = 50 hPa) and want to now plot the wind vectors on this grid. I am aware of ways to plot scattered point data, but was wondering if the 3-arguement vector command for curvilinear coordinates would work in my case. Would I do something like this?:

vector u,v,lon[i=1:100]+0*lat[j=1:100],lat[j=1:100]+0*lon[i=1:100]

where the u and v are two dimensional in x,y. The problem is, the grid spacings in lat/lon for my data are not on a regular lat/lon grid. Maybe there is a way to do a cylindrical map projection or something that would allow me to use the vector command? (2) I used a bi-linear interpolation scheme to grid the ECMWF(1.125 deg) grid to my new cylindrical grid. Could I have done this same thing in FERRET with the SAMPLEXY function with just the lat/lon values of my new grid and the variable from the model? (3) On the SCAT2GRIDGAUSS function: how does increasing/decreasing xscale and yscale affect the output of the gridded data? How should I choose these values and the cutoff?

Thanks for any help!

Stephen R. Guimond
Graduate Research Assistant
Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies (COAPS)
Tallahassee, FL 32304