Re: [ferret_users] Create a netcdf file on MAC?

Hi Jian,

| I have installed the gfortran and netcdf on Mac, but a problem
| appears when I use them to create a NC file.
|
| root# gfortran -lnetcdf hb.f90
| /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
| _nf_close_
[...]
| I have copied the libnetcdf.a and netcdf.inc to the current
| directory, and pls find the hb.f in the attachment.

I see several potential problems:

  1) I suspect ld ignores the current directory.  I guess you want

       # gfortran hb.f90 -L. -lnetcdf

  2) The order of command line arguments can be significant.
     Symbols in earlier files are searched in later files.

  3) Do you need ranlib when you copy a library? since Mac is
     BSD Unix . . . ?

  4) You need to use the same Fortran compiler you (or somebody)
     built the netCDF library with.

  5) It's better to use packages to install things (if available).
     I recommend netCDF on fink.

Finally, I think it's better to ask this kind of question elsewhere.
There's certainly a mailing list dedicated to netCDF.  This list
is primarily for discussion on Ferret.  I'm not complaining.  What
I'm saying is that you'll have a better chance to get better answers
when your questions are asked in more appropriate places.

Hope this helps,
Ryo