[ferret_users] Re: [Ferret_users] : increase font size on tick labels

Hi Zhen,
I think I know most of these. It's true that the PPLUS commands aren't easy to find. Someday I need to go in and put in lots more index entries.

I'll put my answers inline, after each of your questions

zhen.li@gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

Hi Ansley:

I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers in ferret user guide or archives.

1) add a single horizontal line at equator across the x-axis, when y-axis is latitude

There is an obscure command PPL CROSS which turns on a line going through the equator

use etopo60
ppl cross 1
shade rose

Or, to draw a line anywhere

use etopo60
shade rose
plot/over/vs/line {-20:380}, {0, 0}

2) increase the font or use bold font for tick labels, e.g, 10s, 0, 10 n. The default labels of ferret
are too light and too small.

This is the PPL AXLSZE command, or for time axes PPL TXLSZE. The default size is 0.10, so

use etopo60
shade/set rose
ppl axlsze 0.12, 0.12
ppl shade

3) increase the font or use bold font for axis labels, e.g, Salinity.
I know that one can do

plot/color=black/nolab/thick=2/vlimit=35.1:35.80:0.1 salt_165E
ppl ylab "@CRSalinity (psu)"
ppl plot

However, how can you make "Salintiy(psu)" bigger and bold?
Add a

 ppl labset,,0.14,0.14

4) use bold font in drawing contour label.
 cONTOUR/SIZE=0.15  only increases the font height.

I think I'd try changing to another font, this can be done with the PPL CONPRE command.
use etopo60
contour/x=10w:10e/y=30:50/size=12/set rose
ppl conpre,@CR
ppl contour

In general, we don't have a real ability to change to bold. The fonts are pretty limited, but there is one thing you can try. It doesn't always look too good, but it might improve some plots:

PPL PEN,0,7 ! changes the pen used for all the labels and axis lines to pen 7, the "thick" pen.

This setting persists on all your plots until you change it.

Also try

use etopo60
contour/x=10w:10e/y=30:50/size=12/set rose
ppl conpre,@CR
ppl pen,1,7
ppl contour

PPL PEN,1,7 changes the default pen, for axis lines and contouring, to the thick pen.

Thanks,

Zhen