Re: [ferret_users] memory problem on Mac

Hi Ferret users,

| I was running ferret v5.6 on a linux machine with 3GB memory,
| and was limited to set memory/size=500

For (ordinary) Linux, it seems that memory is limited to 2GiB per
process no matter how large the physical memory is.  This limitation
is hard-wired in the kernel.  You could raise the limit nearly
to 4GiB by modifying the kernel.  (Or, you can switch to a 64-bit
kernel. But I'm not sure you can get a 64-bit Ferret in that case.)
I'm not sure about Mac OS.  I think I heard the limit is raised
to 3GB or so as of Mac OS 10.3 .

Ryo
2GiB = 2 x 2^30 ~= 537 x 4 x 10^6 = 537 x 10^6 words