Re: [ferret_users] memory problem on Mac

That's interesting.

I run Ferret on 2 Macs (G5 desktop with 5.5Gb physical memory and G4 powerbook with 1.25Gb), and routinely allocate 500MW of memory to Ferret on both machines. (Despite the fact that the powerbook has much less actual memory than that!). Some experimentation shows that I can SET MEMORY/SI=[556 on the powerbook and 586 on the G5]. Anything more than that gives me the same error you describe. The fact that the memory limits on both machines are the same gives me the impression that this limit is not based on the physical memory but on some other factor.

By the way, testing shows that the G5 is about 3-4 times faster than the G4 laptop for Ferret operations.

Billy K