Re: [ferret_users] Re: command to plot error bar

Hi - To define a variable with the same time axis as co2[x=@ave,l=1:12,y=-60:60@ave] and which computes

total_error = (SUM(ERROR)/N)**1/2

I think you'd want to compute the error sum over the same region you're using to plot CO2, x=1:360, y=-60:60. The Ferret commands would be

yes? let xx = x[gx=CO2]
yes? let yy = y[gy=CO2]
yes? let nx = xx[x=@NGD]
yes? let ny = yy[y=-60:60@NGD]

yes? let nxy = nx * ny

yes? let total_error = (error[x=@SUM,y=-60:60@SUM]/nxy)^0.5

( Note that some mail programs may translate the carat symbol before 0.5 above, making a subscript. The character is the carat symbol, the up-arrow. )

Then you can use this in the error bar script.

Ansley

Yogesh K. Tiwari wrote:

Hi Ansley,

Actually I have 2-d error data file which
looks like

name title I J K L
ERROR 1:360 1:180 ... 1:12

And I have CO2 data related to this error

CO2 1:360 1:180 ... 1:12

I am ploting CO2 curve in ferret

plot co2[x=@ave,l=1:12,y=-60:60@ave]

Now I want to plot error bar using the data 1
variable ERROR. This error data(data 1 ERROR)
is (sigma)**2 . I want to calulate the total
error like

total_error = (SUM(ERROR)/N)**1/2

here N I guess would be 180*360, am I right ?

SO can you please suggest me how to calculate
the total error in ferret for each month
using this formula, this would be error bar.

And finally I want to plot error bar (total
error) on the CO2 curve.

For more clarification I wrote formula in
word .doc file and I am sending you this
little word file.

Pls help.

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,