Re: [ferret_users]why ferret is saving the variables with uppercaseletter?

Hi Murat,
This will be improved with the next release of Ferret. Currently, Ferret translates all commands and variable names to uppercase, which allows the user to specify commands in either upper or lower case.
In the next release, all of the information about variables including their names exactly as they appear in the file, and all attributes, will be saved when the file is read. On output, the variable names in the original upper or lower case will be written, and the user can specify whether to write out attributes which were in the file but are not the standard attributes that Ferret always writes.

Until that release is ready, our best suggestion is to use NC operatoras to fix the file after it has been written out. These are available at http://nco.sourceforge.net/

Ansley

Murat Gunduz wrote:

Dear Ferret users,
I have a netcdf file, after making some manipulations,
I want to save all variable in a new netcdf file, with below command

list/file="roms_grd2.nc"/clobber/format="cdf" xl,el,pm,pn,new_var1

first four variable are already in the input netcdf file, I havent make any changes
to them, however when I write them to the new netcdf file, all variables are
written in upper case. Do you know what is the reason for it?
Thank you very much in advance,

Murat Gunduz