Re: [ferret_users] page numbers of postscript output

Hi David and Ryo,
Thanks for the suggestions, and for the pointers to the Adobe document and postscript utilities.

I've entered your suggestions into our list of future improvements. Gksm2ps is a program written in c which does the translation from a metafile to postscript files. We'd be happy for a contributer to look into making these improvements; let me know if any of you are interested in volunteering.

Ansley

Ryo Furue wrote:

Hi David and Ferret developers,

| I'm able to create multi-page postscript files by
| yes? sp Fprint -o output.ps -p portrait -R metafile.plt*
| But the ps files it generates don't have intrinsic page numbers as
| they are viewed in gv. This generally doesn't really matter, but if
| there is a way to add (not literally label) them, it may be nicer...

I've been wishing the same. Other (minor) problems include
that tools such as "psnup", "psmerge", and "psselect"(*) don't work.
I suspect that these problems will be solved if gksm2ps (Fprint)
produces PostScript files which follow Adobe's Document
Structuring Convenction (DSC):

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5001.DSC_Spec.pdf

which seems to be widely adopted. It specifies how to annotate
a PS file in such a way as to enhance its usability; it seems that
it specifies how to indicate not only page boundaries but also
a section common to all pages (called a "prolog") so that a multi-page
PS file can be split into multiple files or multiple files can be
combined into a single multi-page PS file if the prolog is the same.

So, I think DSC is worth looking at for a future improvement
of gksm2ps.

Ryo
(*) http://directory.fsf.org/print/postscript/psutils.html