Re: [ferret_users] page numbers of postscript output

Hi David and Ferret developers,

| I'm able to create multi-page postscript files by
| yes? sp Fprint -o output.ps -p portrait -R metafile.plt*
| But the ps files it generates don't have intrinsic page numbers as
| they are viewed in gv. This generally doesn't really matter, but if
| there is a way to add (not literally label) them, it may be nicer...

I've been wishing the same.  Other (minor) problems include
that tools such as "psnup", "psmerge", and "psselect"(*) don't work.
I suspect that these problems will be solved if gksm2ps (Fprint)
produces PostScript files which follow Adobe's Document
Structuring Convenction (DSC):

   http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/5001.DSC_Spec.pdf

which seems to be widely adopted.  It specifies how to annotate
a PS file in such a way as to enhance its usability; it seems that
it specifies how to indicate not only page boundaries but also
a section common to all pages (called a "prolog") so that a multi-page
PS file can be split into multiple files or multiple files can be
combined into a single multi-page PS file if the prolog is the same.

So, I think DSC is worth looking at for a future improvement
of gksm2ps.

Ryo
(*) http://directory.fsf.org/print/postscript/psutils.html