Re: [ferret_users] Re: ferret into the future

Hi John and Ryo,

Thank you both for your comments and suggestions. Indeed, the Ferret scripting language could be greatly improved. It has grown incrementally over many years -- a process that always leads to plenty of imperfections.

The possibility certainly does exist of wedding Ferret to a more powerful scripting language. The scope of this work is unfortunately larger than we can take on at this time. Support for the general Ferret community and email list (outside of specific targeted users and applications) is a service that we supply largely out of hide/unfunded.

Many great additions have been made to Ferret, however, in the spirit of open source development. If anyone in the Ferret community would like to have a look at an alternative scripting environment, we would definitely welcome that. And we would provide assistance in every way that we could to help that effort to succeed.

- Steve

Ryo Furue wrote:

John and ferret users,

| [...] but that there are major issues with
| user-friendliness. Those who know ferret "backwards and
| forwards" are probably happy with it as it is and that I'm
| crazy to suggest it needs a major overhaul in that respect.
I'm not sure what you meant by "user-friendliness", but I kind
of agree that ferret is a bit weak on that front. I'm not
particularly a fan of GUI interfaces, so I'll leave that
subject to other people. What I find to be a bit weak is
ferret's scripting language, which is---how should I put it---arcane.
I wish it were simpler _and_ more powerful.

I think to change the language would be a huge work, which
I'm not sure can be done at all. But, anyway---What I have
in mind is a "normal" programming language: For example,

view = {"topleft", "topright", "bottomleft", "bottomright"}
do i = 1, $n
set viewport $view($i)
if ($label == "velocity")
vector u[d=$i],v[d=$i]
elseif ($label == "temperature")
fill average(temp[d=$i], dim = "z") !! vertical average
else
print "unknown label."; stop 1
endif
enddo

That is, if the language were more regular and straightforward
and similar to other popular computer languages
(Fortran, C, Matlab, etc.), it would be more readily accessible
to users.

Ryo

Steve Hankin, NOAA/PMEL -- Steven.C.Hankin@noaa.gov
7600 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-0070
ph. (206) 526-6080, FAX (206) 526-6744