Re: [ferret_users] ferret into the future

My general feeling is that one uses whatever tools that are available that are appropriate for the job. I've used VCDAT, NCL, IDV, NCAR Graphics inside Fortran code, GrADS, ferret (of course) and a number of other packages as I needed them.

I use ferret most often, for reasons I've outlined in emails to the list over the years. Personally speaking, I don't believe ferret needs a layer on top of what it is - other packages I've used have done that and more often than not, in my experience, what happens is that so many options need to be changed at the topmost level that one might as well have gotten into the guts, as it were, and made one's changes there.

Just IMHO.

Gary Strand
strandwg@ucar.edu
http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/ccr/strandwg