Re: [ferret_users] Ferret: Host is down

Hi Jimmy,
I don't find this error message among the messages Ferret writes, but clearly Ferret locates the file and tries to read it. I think I see the trouble however. The file has mixed data types for the variables in the file; the first column is a string. Use the SET DATA/FORM=DELIMITED syntax. You'll need to specify that the delimiter is a space as well.

file/form=delim/delim=" "/var="nam,q,dcape,cape,pres" ENV_cape.dat

FILE/FORM=DELIM detects the data type of variables automatically, or you can use the /TYPE= qualifier to specifically assign the data type for each variable.

Ansley

jimmyc@iastate.edu wrote:

Hi-
Does anyone know what the "host is down" error means?
I issued this command to read an ascii data file maybe 50 lines long.
file/var="nam,q,dcape,cape,pres" ENV_cape.dat
then when I try to plot the data, it gives me the error:
yes? plot/vs pres,cape
 **TMAP ERR: Host is down
             Last or next-to-last record read:
ENV 1 746.328 5.024 974.400
             Data set: ./ENV_cape.dat
             Data file: ./ENV_cape.dat

I can read the file outside of Ferret, just not in Ferret.
Thanks for any insight
jimmyc