Re: [ferret_users] Question about regridding

Hi Ming,
I suspect that the longitude axes here are not defined as MODULO axes, which would tell Ferret to wrap the points around the earth. (If you say "SHOW GRID topo", a modulo X axis would have an m after the number of points in X). The important one is the axis of the topo dataset which you want to wrap around from 0.5 across 0 to 359.5. You can give the axis a modulo setting by saying

yes? use atmym016910.t2m.nc
yes? use topo.nc
yes? set axis/modulo `topo,return=xaxis`
yes? let TOPO2=TOPO[G=T2M[d=1]]

and then the regridding should proceed as you want it to.

Ansley

Ming Yang wrote:

Hi, folks
Here is my original dataset

topo.nc
LON = 0.5, 1.5, ..., 359.5
LAT = -89.5, -88.5, ..., 89.5

I want this dataset to be regridded so that it shares the same
coordinates as the following dataset

atmym016910.t2m.nc
LON = 0, 5.625, ..., 354.375
LAT = -85.76059, -80.26878, ..., 80.26878, 85.76059

Here is what I have done with ferret

yes? use atmym016910.t2m.nc
yes? use topo.nc
yes? show data
currently SET data sets:
1> ./atmym016910.t2m.nc
name title I J K
T2M Temperature at 2 Meter 1:64 1:32 ...
1:500

2> ./topo.nc (default)
name title I J K
TOPO TOPO 1:360 1:180 ...

yes? let TOPO2=TOPO[G=T2M[d=1]]

TOPO2 has the desired coordinate, the same as T2M. However, I notice
in TOPO2 the values for LON=0 are undefined. I think this is because
the LON=0 is outside the range of the orignial dataset, whose lon is from
0.5 to 359.5, and the ferret is not smart enough to wrap up the longitude
around and to make use of those values with LON=359.5. Does anyone know
how to fix this problem? Thank you in advance.

Best,
Ming