Re: [ferret_users] Trouble Displaying Curvilinear Data

This is a guess, but are some of the coordinate points defined with missing
values of zero? Those would map back to the tip of the triangle at 0 degN by
0 degE. I have had similar trouble before with coordinate points being
defined as very large or very small numbers. When these points occur outside
valid geospatial coordinate, Ferret gets upset and either crashes or gives
odd results. The solution is to limit the plotting command to only access
valid data points. For example, if the last row of data was all zero at
index 50, then instead of saying
    shade data,lon,lat
say
    shade data[I=1:49],lon[I=1:49],lat[I=49]

-Bill

On 9/19/05 12:45 PM, "John Schattel" <john.schattel@noaa.gov> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to display some curvilinear model data and I am getting some
> unexpected results.  You can see the results of a shade/title="Surface
> Currents" u,lon,lat command in the attached gif file
> (st_johns_river.gif).  The data should have been for a stretch of the
> Eastern coast of Florida (
> http://www.csc.noaa.gov/csp/images/fl_region.gif ).  Does anyone have a
> suggestion on what might be going wrong or how to diagnose this
> problem.  If you would like to see the netCDF data, it is available via
> the following DODS URL or I could e-mail it to you offline.
>
> http://205.156.4.56/cgi-bin/nph-dods/st_johns/efdcgrid01.nc.info
>
> In advance, thanks for any help you might provide.
>
> John

William I. Gustafson Jr.
Atmospheric Science and Global Change Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
3200 Q Ave., MSIN K9-30
Richland, WA 99352
(509)372-6110