Re: [ferret_users] Trouble with Ferret Crashing

HI John,
I'm not sure that the time units in your file would cause Ferret to stop. (The message you see means that the routine CONFINE_AXIS has run into an error code other than the ones it expects and knows how to issue error messages for. There is not another log file with more info -- the answer is to ask the developers what to do.)

If the problem is indeed with the time origin given in the file, you can change it when you open the file, with a SET AXIS/T0 command

yes? set data datasetname.nc
yes? set axis/t0="1995-08-02 00:00:00" TIME

or, get the name of the time axis from the name of a variable. As Jon says, you don't need to specify the hours, minutes, seconds if they are all 00 anyway

yes? set axis/t0="1995-08-02" `air_u,return-taxis`

Ansley

John Schattel wrote:

Hello All,

I have just started using Ferret and am trying to shade some netCDF gridded data. The netCDF definition of the data is shown below. When I use the following command, Ferret crashes only saying "CONFINE_AXIS" before dying.
shade /t="15-apr-2005 13:00"/x=150:190/y=80:160 air_u

I was wondering if there is a log file that might provide more information on why Ferret crashed. If so, where would I look for it and what is the name of the file? I would also appreciate any suggestions on steps I might take to isolate the problem.

In advance, thanks for any help you provide on plotting this netCDF data.

John

:grid_type = "Orthogonal Curv Grid (IM=217,JM=160)" ;
float air_u(time, ny, nx) ;
air_u:long_name = "Eastward Air Velocity" ;
air_u:units = "m/s" ;
air_u:missing_value = -99999.f ;
air_u:standard_name = "eastward_wind" ;
air_u:averaging_window = 0.125f ;
air_u:averaging_offset = 0.f ;
float time(time) ;
time:long_name = "Time" ;
time:base_date = 1995, 8, 2, 0 ;
time:units = "days since 1995-08-02 0:00:00 00:00" ;
time:standard_name = "time" ;