[ferret_users] adobe illustrator 101

Nihao Gao

I'll tell you the non-obvious stuff to get you started, then you can use the help function to figure out the rest:

open your ps file in adobe illustrator (use "open" from "file" menu obviously)
click on the figure, everything should become selected
click on "clipping mask" from the "object" menu, and click on "release " if available (i.e. "release" is black, not light grey)

similarly, click on "compound path" from the "object" menu, and click on "release" if available.

now click on "crop marks" from the "object" menu, and click on "release" if available.

Then "ungroup" also from the "object" menu.

Now it should be clear with a little reading. E.g. click "stroke" from the "window" menu, and you can change the thickness of lines till your heart is content, add text, little arrow, label contours, shi ma shi ma....

Cheers,
Rob