Re: [ferret_users] Ferret 10kyr problem

Hi Joerg,
Ferret can't have a calendar-formatted axis going back before the year 0000, but it can have a time axis of the length you want. To create a simple example (plot attached).

yes? DEFINE AXIS/T=-75000:10000:1/UNITS=year tax
yes? LET tt = SIN(t[gt=tax]/5000)
yes? PLOT tt

yes? SAVE/CLOBBER/FILE=longt.nc tt
LISTing to file longt.nc

yes? SP ncdump -h longt.nc
netcdf longt {
dimensions:
TAX = UNLIMITED ; // (85001 currently)
variables:
double TAX(TAX) ;
TAX:units = "YEAR" ;
TAX:axis = "T" ;
float TT(TAX) ;
TT:missing_value = -1.e+34f ;
TT:_FillValue = -1.e+34f ;
TT:long_name = "SIN(T[GT=TAX]/5000)" ;

// global attributes:
:history = "FERRET V5.80 30-Jun-05" ;
}

Joerg Franke wrote:

Hi,

I will create a large netcdf-file with a timescale reaching 75kyrs into the past and I want make it available via LAS afterwards. How can I avoid ferrets problem to deal with the time variable exceeding 10000 years?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Jörg

GIF image