Appending Slabs to netCDF files

Hello Ferreters:
   The section in the documentation for appending slabs to netCDF files is
a bit unclear to me.  I have created a variable using the "let" command
at a certain level and want to save each new level that I calculate as the
appropriate level in a new netCDF file.  The documentation says to define
two grids, one grid to read the data in one level at a time and the other
grid that will contain all levels in the new file.  Since I am not reading
in data, I tried to regrid my new variable on the grid used to read data
in, but this did not work ( **ERROR: invalid command: attempt to regrid on
a compressed axis).  My variable is created using the @weq transformation:

let pvwght320 = pv*theta[z=@weq:320]
let pv320 = pvwght320[z=@sum]

Can anyone clear up the documentation for me?  As you can see I want to
save "pv320" as level 1, "pv325" as level 2, etc. where z axis
goes from 320:345:5.

Thanks.

Steve Guimond
Research Assistant
The Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies