griding of ASCII data file for the meridional mean

Hello,

I am using ferret v5.80 on Suse Linux.

I have airplane CO2 obsercations in ASCII format.

The whole data spans between latitude -40 to +40.

I want to take the 5 degree latitudional mean of whole data.

I tried to write a small script and I defined the axis as following :-

define axis/x=1:360:1 xlon

define axis/y=1:180:1 ylat

define axis/t=1:13792:1 time

define grid/x=xlon/y=ylat/t=time newgrid

file/var="time,lat,lon,ht,co2"/grid=newgrid\ data.txt

Ferret complains while using the command for the plot :-

**ERROR: stack overflow
*** NOTE: Check for recursion in variable definitions

The airplane observations are of many months and the latitude is not in monotonic increasing order
i.e. observations are irragular.

Kindly suggest me how I can define the axis so I can grid the data to take the 5 degree meridional mean.

Or simply, how one can grid , defile axises of any ASCII data format which has irragular observations.

This will really help to take the means of either zonal or meridional if the data amount is really much.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
Yogesh

Yogesh Tiwari,
Max-Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry,
Hans-Knoell Strasse 10,
D-07745 Jena,
Germany

Office : 0049 3641 576 376