Re: Ferret, email subject line, posting questions

All great suggestions!

And one more: often the quickest & easiest way to convey a
question/problem to others is to:

1) Open a fresh Ferret session,

2) execute a BRIEF, REPRODUCIBLE sequence of commands in Ferret that
demonstrates the problem,

3) copy all the text from your terminal (including the header lines that
came up when you started Ferret) into your email,

4) attach any plots that you generated, using FRAME/FILE=plot.gif, to your
email.

For example:

Subject: incorrect contours for FILL with missing data

        NOAA/PMEL TMAP
        FERRET v5.80
        Linux(g77) 2.4.18 - 01/03/05
         9-Jun-05 16:16

yes? use coads_climatology
yes? save/clobber/file=sst.nc/y=0/x=130e:80w sst
 LISTing to file sst.nc
yes? can dat/all; use sst.nc
yes? set v left; shade/x=120e:80w sst  !this works.
yes? set v right; fill/x=120e:80w sst  !but this gives only 1 contour!!!
yes? frame/file=plot.gif               !plot is attached to this email

That way the problem-solver will have all the machine & Ferret-version
information, can simply paste the commands into their own Ferret session,
and can directly compare their output with yours.

In the above example, notice that we've used one of the standard datasets
(coads_climatology) that comes with Ferret.  That way it's easy for others
to reproduce the problem.  The three most useful datasets for this purpose
are:

     coads_climatology -- for general/climatology/modulo issues
   levitus_climatology -- for depth/z/non-time issues
    monthly_navy_winds -- for timeseries/vector issues

Cheers,

Andrew