axis order when useing SAVE?

Hi,

How can I save 2 variables to a netCDF file that have grids with the same
axis describing two different axes (e.g. x and y axis)?

For example, I have Var_a defined on a grid with "abc" as the X axis.
I also have Var_b defined on a grid with "abc" as the Y axis.  I then use
the following to try to save both to file:

save/file=my_file.nc Var_a
save/append/file=my_file.nc Var_b

Ferret allows me to do this without any error message.  However, when I
then try to USE my_file.nc, I get the following message:

*** NOTE: unsupported ordering of axes in variable VAR_B
*** NOTE: The default ordering will be used

When I then look at the data in the file with ferret, everything looks
fine, but I know something isn't right because the model I'm trying to
input the data file to (CLM) gives an error when trying to read the file.

I tried using the command qualifier /order=y with SAVE but am not having
any luck.

Thanks,
Crystal