appending data to netCDF file

Hello:
   I want to be able to append a netCDF file with data on different
levels, but cannot find this in the documentation.  Let's say I have winds
at the surface and at 850 mb but defined as different variables.  I just
want to stack the 850 mb winds onto the 1000 mb winds.

I tried:
save/file=wind.nc/k=1 wind
save/append/file=wind.nc/k=2 wind
etc....

so when i open up the file it should look like this:

wind    i=1:x  j=1:x  k=1:2

where k=1 is the surface and k=2 is 850 mb.

Thanks for your help

Steve Guimond
Research Assistant
The Center for Ocean-Atmospheric Prediction Studies