Re: TXNMTC

Hi Patrick,
yes, this is a known bug. TXNMTC does not control time axis tics for these long time axes. The time axes have many automatic settings, and so don't have much flexibility to control. The pplus documentation shows that origanally there were only three types of axes: Days with sub-units of hours, Months with sub-units of days, and Year with sub-units of months. At some point there was a Century/Year added, but it does not have all the features of the original axes.  There's a similar problem for axes that depict short time periods of less than a day.  This is on our bug list, but we may not have time to address it in the next release.

Here's an old message that talks about the different axis commands.  It doesn't include anything new, but is a convenient list.

http://ferret.pmel.noaa.gov/Ferret/Mail_Archives/fu_2001/msg00490.html

Patrick Brockmann wrote:
Hi all,

I cannot control the number of small tick marks.
Very annoying especially when you do long time series analysis.

Am I wrong in the use of this ppl command

plot/hlim="01-JAN-1800":"01-JAN-2300"/set_up a
PPL TXNMTC,4
ppl plot

Another way would be the use of the qualifier hlimits with start:end:delta
when dealing with a variable on time but the delta part is without effect.

plot/hlim="01-JAN-1800":"01-JAN-2300":20 a

Any idea on this stopic is welcome.
Patrick

def axis/t="01-JUL-1860":"01-JUL-2000":1/unit=years/cal=360_DAY mytaxis let a=t[gt=mytaxis] plot/hlim="01-JAN-1800":"01-JAN-2300"/set_up a PPL TXNMTC,4 ppl plot exit