Re: multiNetCDF descriptor, LAS, and OpenDAP

Hi Matt,
Just responding to your question about the maximum number of stepfiles in a desciptor file -- as things stand now it's hard-wired into Ferret (which is written largely in Fortran and so has lots of fixed-length arrays and buffers). We have a plan to change this in the next version of Ferret so it'll be unlimited.

The last two commands you show, accessing DODS files directly, work fine for me. Maybe try clearing your DODS cache and try again (see DODS, caching) in the Ferret Users Guide.

Ansley

Matt Fulgo wrote:

I have tried all of the aforementioned solutions and none have worked.
However, I do believe that they have helped me narrow down the problem...

When I tried to execute the script by itself:
yes? go "jnls/std_initialize" "NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d" "1" "1"
"Salinity"
I received an error about the &FORMAT_RECORD, this was due to the
linux/Fortan 77 issues. After fixing this and rerunning the script, I was
informed that the maximum datasets for a descriptor is 500 - I had 912.
(Does anyone know where this is set, as I will eventually need to fix
this?) So now, I'm down to a dataset of one NetCDF file, receiving the
same error whether I run it though LAS or ferret and whether I use the
provided jnl or simply try loading the data myself. Here are some of the
things that I have tried and the results:

yes? go "jnls/std_initialize" "NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des" "1" "1"
"Salinity"
**TMAP ERR: non-existent or not on line yes? set data
"NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d"
No files on-line from data set **TMAP ERR: non-existent or
not on line
Data set: NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des No files on-line
from data set set data "NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des" Data set:
NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

yes? set data
"http://supply.nrlssc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-dods/NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/nc/s3d/s3d.ncom.h002.090.nest1.20001001_00000000.nc";
** unknown netCDF error code: -31
is this a CDF file ?