switch mode inside a ferret session?

Hey Ferreters,

I want to generate both metafile output and gif output in one .jnl script. But my X.org is configured in 16-bit color depth and cannot be changed at this moment for some reasons. So within the session of normal mode, ferret is unable to create gif images by using FRAME/FILE=filename.gif. Here I am asking if it's possible to switch ferret to -gif batch mode from the normal mode w/o starting a new session.
Or if ferret can tell me which mode it's running, IF-THEN-ELSE may be used to bifurcate the right output commands for either mode in one script.

Thanks, D.W.

--
Daiwei (David) Wang Graduate Student
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University