multiNetCDF descriptor, LAS, and OpenDAP

Greeting all,

I am trying to setup a dataset in LAS using a descriptor file.  The
dataset is separated to one file per variable per timestep.  After
configuring LAS and creating the des file, I get the following error from
LAS:

Adding an acceptable error string: "*** NOTE: ".
 	NOAA/PMEL TMAP
 	FERRET v5.70
 	Linux(g77) 2.4.20 - 06/28/04
 	25-May-05 12:35

yes? cancel mode verify
yes? cancel mode interp
yes? canc data/all
yes? go std_initialize "NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des" "1" "1" "Salinity"
 **TMAP ERR: non-existent or not on line
             No files on-line from data set
             Data set: NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des
set data "NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/s3d.des"
Command file, command group, or REPEAT execution aborted

The descriptor file is as follows:

 &FORMAT_RECORD
     D_TYPE = ' MC',
     D_FORMAT = ' 1A',
     D_SOURCE_CLASS = 'MODEL OUTPUT',
 /
 &BACKGROUND_RECORD
      D_EXPNUM = '0001',
      D_TITLE = '',
      D_T0TIME = '01-Oct-2000 00:00:00.00',
      D_TIME_UNIT = 43200,
      D_TIME_MODULO = .FALSE.,
 /
 &MESSAGE_RECORD
      D_MESSAGE = ' ',
      D_ALERT_ON_OPEN = F,
      D_ALERT_ON_OUTPUT = F,
 /
 &EXTRA_RECORD
 /
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
       s_filename =
'http://supply.nrlssc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-dods/NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/nc/s3d/s3d.ncom.h002.090.nest1.20001001_00000000.nc',
       S_START = 0,
       S_END = 0,
       S_DELTA = 1,
       S_NUM_OF_FILES = 1,
       S_REGVARFLAG = ' ',
 /
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
       s_filename =
'http://supply.nrlssc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-dods/NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/nc/s3d/s3d.ncom.h002.090.nest1.20001001_12000000.nc',
       S_START = 1,
       S_END = 1,
       S_DELTA = 1,
       S_NUM_OF_FILES = 1,
       S_REGVARFLAG = ' ',
 /
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
       s_filename =
'http://supply.nrlssc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/nph-dods/NCOMCCS/h002/expt_09.0/nc/s3d/s3d.ncom.h002.090.nest1.20001002_00000000.nc',
       S_START = 2,
       S_END = 2,
       S_DELTA = 1,
       S_NUM_OF_FILES = 1,
       S_REGVARFLAG = ' ',
 /
---------other 909 records not included------------
 &STEPFILE_RECORD
       s_filename = '**END OF STEPFILES**'
 /

I have heard rumors of a 72 column limit for descriptor files, could this
have anything to do with the failure?  Any help is appreciated and

Thanks in advance,
Matt