Re: Problems in using Ferret in windows 2000 professional

Hi Subbayya,
Do you have X-windows software installed on your PC?  There is an FAQ document "Getting started with Ferret on a PC" which will help you with what you what you need to know.

 http://www.ferret.noaa.gov/Ferret/FAQ/system/getting_started_on_pc.html

I have linked this to the installation document for windows. Welcome to the Ferret Users list!

Ansley Manke

subbayya wrote:
Hello,

I installed ferret for windows and micromedia's  X server.  I have windows 2000 professional.

I get the following error message when I start the ferret after starting the micromedia's xserver.  Any help will be much appreciated.

******************Warning******************
You must set your X server DISPLAY variable
Use the Control Panel, double click on System, click
on the Environment tab and add a DISPLAY variable.

Or, set it at the bash command line before starting Ferret.

See the README file for more information

Setting DISPLAY variable to default value of ":0.0"

Available commands:
    ferret
    gksm2ps
    finder (Windows version of Fgo, Fdata, etc.)

Type help after starting ferret to load your default Web browser
with the Ferret documentation home page

bash-2.05$

S. Sankaranarayanan
Applied Science Associates