compute avrage over certain region

Dear Ferret users,

I want to compute average value of a field over
certain region. ( over the grids enclosed by the
boundry of the  country in the attached figure).

I have asked similar question earlier also.Then i was
suggested to define a mask to match with the boundry.
I wonder if there is a simpler technic  to "define the
grid point/coordinates(i, j values)"  over which
averaging can be done.

Regards
Jagadish

Yahoo! Mail