ferret 5.8 does things it should not do

Dear Ansley,

I am using ferret 5.8,

FERRET v5.80 Linux(g77) 2.4.20 - 01/03/05
22-Mar-05 16:17

and found several points, where ferret "knows better" than it should. Opening a netcdf-file

use my_file

and writing one of the variables with (doing nothing else)

save/clobber/file=my_file.nc my_var

I see, the x-axis is now modulo. Originally:

float xt_i(xt_i) ;
xt_i:long_name = "Longitude of T points" ;
xt_i:units = "degrees_E" ;
xt_i:cartesian_axis = "X" ;
new file:
double XT_I(XT_I) ;
XT_I:units = "degrees_east" ;
XT_I:modulo = 360. ;
XT_I:point_spacing = "uneven" ;
XT_I:axis = "X" ;
XT_I:bounds = "XT_I_bnds" ;

I could cancel the modulo flag, but wouldn't it be better, if ferret leaves the axis definition
as it is? A previous version (5.4) did not add the modulo flag.

It also adds always bounds which can be very disturbing in some cases. This cannot be supressed.

The final issue is:
With previous ferrets one could concatenate files, which have the same grid but an unlimited time axis. It worked simply by opening file after file and writing to an output file.
This does not work anymore, because ferret adds void timeslices. Indeed the time axis is irregular, but I did neither specify the bounds attribute not used /rigid to get a regular axis. I could not find out, how to get rid of these void points.

Especially for the last point any idea for a workaround is welcome.

Kind regards,
Martin Schmidt