Re: getting netcdf filename in a string variable

Hi Delclaux Francois,
                        It is fairly easy with the key word "RETURN" and
the string utilities in Ferret. See the example below.

 With Regards

 Jaison

-------------example.jnl------------------------
\ cancel mode verify

! open a dataset in a different directory (...say from fer_dsets)

     use coads_climatology

! get the full path of the dataset (fpath) & the name of the
!       data file without the ".nc" & ".cdf" extention (fname)
!       using  "RETURN" on a variable in the file (sst)

     define symbol fname = `sst,return=dset`
     define symbol fpath = `sst,return=dsetpath`

! now suppose if you want to get the full file name (with ".cdf" or
!    ".nc" extention and the path to the dataset without the last "/"

     let fstart = STRINDEX("($fpath)","($fname)") ! first char of dset name
     let flen   = STRLEN("($fpath)")              ! characters in the "path"
     let fchars = flen - fstart + 1               ! characters in the dset name
     let flname = SUBSTRING("($fpath)",`fstart`,`fchars`) ! full dset name
     let flpath = SUBSTRING("($fpath)",1,`fstart-2`)      ! path without last "/"

     list/nohead flname
     list/nohead flpath

!--------------end of example.jnl-----------------------------

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, DELCLAUX Francois wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's possible to get the current directory in a string variable using
> the commande :
> let dir = {spawn:"pwd"}   :
>
> Now, I would like to put the current Netcdf filename in a string variable
> in a similar way. Is it possible , and how  ?
>
> Thanks for your response.

    Jaison Kurian
    Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
    Indian Institute of Science
    B A N G A L O R E   560 012
    Ph: +91-80-3942505
        +91-80-3600450