Re: how to append two data sets

Hi Sriram,

I find that the best way to do this is in unix using a very useful set
of commands (NCO operators) available from:

http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html

(complete with instructions)

I think I do something similar to you, as I merge 12 monthly average
netCDF files into 1 mega one, as well as producing a yearly average
file. Using the NCO operators I do the following:

To merge (concatenate) 12 monthly files:

$ ncrcat jan.nc feb.nc .....dec.nc TOTAL.nc

To produce an yearly average file:

$ ncra jan.nc feb.nc ....dec.nc AVERAGE.nc

Of course, the record (i.e. time) dimension needs to flow in your files,
as well as them having the same variable names.

There are lots of other operators available that can do arithmetic
manipulation etc..

Apologies that this isn't a ferret answer!

Paul