Problem in setting up FERRET

Hi,

I understand that FERRET could be used to convert NetCDF to ASCII.

I’m still stuck in the setting up part. I’m a Window XP user.

I’ve set up the DISPLAY environment variable (not sure whether I did it correctly – I create a NEW – VARIABLE with the value being the directory to my x-server. I’m using the cygwin/X). I managed to have graphs displayed then running “GO tutorial”.

  1. Where should I type “setenv DISPLAY :0.0; export DISPLAY”  the command? It’s not recognized both in the X bash window as well as the bash Ferret. (below is the return).

bash: setenv: command not found

  1. How can I configure my Web browser?

Yes? Help

Starting your default Web browser…

Yes? No browser configured on this system

  1. I can’t retrieve those existing demo files (e.g. coads_climatology, levitus_climatology… etc). Probably due to the fact that my web browser is not configure? (below is the return)

SET DATA coads_climatology

**TMAP ERR: non-existent or not on line

                        Searched $FER_DESCR and $FER_DATA for coads_cliamtology (.des,.cdf,.nc)

  1. Where should I store my NetCDF files in order for me to USE them?

Thanks a million in advance for the trouble in understanding my problems as well as giving me some ‘enlightenments’.

Regards, syinyi

Miss S Y Phoon

F59B, Civil Engineering Dept.

The Univeristy of Birmingham