Re: constant values

Hi James,
That's interesting - I never knew Ferret did that. The contour and fill commands
do interpolations to draw the lines or find the boundaries between different colors,
and that's meaningless of course with a constant field, so the code just skips out
before doing any plotting. It would be nice if Ferret would put a note on the plot
page to indicate "Constant field, value xx" or something.

A SHADE plot will show you one solid color, and a colorbar with the value
of the field labelled.

You can get the value of the field after issuing your FILL command by looking
at the Ferret symbols PPL$ZMIN and PPL$ZMAX, so that'd be a way to add
your own label

yes? use coads_climatology
yes? let a = 4 + 0*sst
yes? shade a[L=1]

yes? fill aa[L=1]
yes? show sym ppl$z*
yes? if `($ppl$zmin) eq ($ppl$zmax)` then \
label/nouser 2, 1, 0, 0, 0.14, "constant value=($ppl$zmax)"

Ansley

James Booth wrote:

I write a surface tracer flux to a netcdf file. If the flux is a constant
value (non-zero) the fill and cont plots show nothing.

I was hoping that this is just a quirk in Ferret that could be
fixed with some other descriptors when I call the fill command.

Thanks

Jimmy Booth
JISAO, 120B Lisa Li Bldg
phone: 206-685-2585