Re: Automate ferret

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Rolando S. Balotro wrote:
>I have tons of *.nc files to process. I need to open them individually
>and pick a data from a selected data  point. Is there a way to automate
>this?

Hi Rolando,
	Here is what I do in a situation that is similar I hope to
yours.  Suppose I have a set of netcdf files, all containing the SAME
VARIABLE NAME say temperature(T_28) of a vertical profile, and I want
to extract the temperature at 100m. Then interactively on my unix
machine I type

	touch T_28at100m.d
	foreach file ( `ls *.ctd` )
	  echo 'use '$file >! job.jnl
          echo 'list/nohead/app/file=T_28at100m.d T_28[z=100]' >> job.jnl
          echo 'quit' >> job.jnl
          ferret < job.jnl >! job.out
          echo $file' processed'
        end

The script runs through all the netcdf files named *.ctd in this
directly, appends the value of T_28[z=100] to the ASCII file T_28at100m.d,
and gives me a progress report on the screen ...
hy0103001.ctd processed
hy0103002.ctd processed
hy0103003.ctd processed
hy0103004.ctd processed
hy0103005.ctd processed
hy0103006.ctd processed
hy0103007.ctd processed
hy0103008.ctd processed
hy0103009.ctd processed
To check the results
	more T_28at100m.d
gives
          2.936
          3.101
          2.136
          2.124
          2.772
          2.330
          1.814
          1.431
          1.829

You can use
	foreach file (`cat myfile.list`)
if the files you want are named in the file myfile.list and in practice
I would probably add extra info to the output record, such as the
latitude and longitude of the profile.
	A script based this idea would perhaps accept the pointer filename
(myfile.list) , the output filename (T_28at100m.d), and the variable(s) to
be extracted (T_28[z=100]) as command line arguments, but often it is
just as easy to do it interactively.

Good luck,
Mick

|!!! Mick.Spillane@noaa.gov !!!|