Re: fill vs shade

Hi Julien,
This question just came back to me when I was doing something else. There are
cases where we just cannot do a fill plot (or contour, which uses the same algorighm).
Contouring employs curve-fiitting algorithms to make smooth curves between grid
locations. See in the Users Guide Chapter 6, Sec 8.2 PPLUS Contour commands
for a discussion of the related settings. (Navigate in the index to "CONTOUR, pplus
controls".)

Because of the contouring process, there may not be enough data in some regions
to do a Fill plot. As the contour algorithm moves through the grid, it does not always
have enough information to compute the data value. So, I wouldn't necessarily call
this a bug, but more of a limitation. For instance, here is a somewhat silly example:

yes? use coads_climatology
yes? fill/hlim=300:301/vlim=0:1/L=1 sst ! blank plot
yes? shade/hlim=300:301/vlim=0:1/L=1 sst ! fill plot, one color.

I've talked to others who have done the same as you - make a SHADE plot, and
overlay it with the FILL plot you really want.

Ansley

Julien Demaria wrote:

Hi,

I don't know why, but sometimes the fill command let some blank hole on top-left and bottom-left of my window, and if I test the same parameters with the shade command, there aren't any hole.
It is as if the 2 top-left and bottom-left last filled polygons aren't well computed and so I see some blank regions...
For the moment I use a bad hack : I shade my data, and then fill with /overlay...
Is it a known bug ?

I use ferret 5.51 on Win2000 Pro.

Thanks in advance for help,

Julien