Re: Hide outside labels

Hi Julien,
There's no easy answer for this in terms of Ferret commands; labeling is set up so that
labels can be placed anywhere in the plot window.
The answer will probably be that you'll have to compute the amount of space available
in the plot box, using symbols like PPL$XLEN, axis length in inches, and XAXIS_MIN
and XAXIS_MAX, which are the axis endpoints in user units (e.g. longitude). Then
you would compute the distance from your desired location to the edge of the plot box.
The size of the text and function STRLEN would tell how much of the label will fit, and
SUBSTRING shortens the strings as needed.

Users, does anyone do this general kind of thing? Does anyone have scripts that compute
positions on the pages in terms of plot-axis lengths, converting between user units and inches,
and the size of string labels? I imagine a few examples would be very helpful.

Ansley

Julien Demaria wrote:

Ansley,

Thanks for your answer,

In fact I want use the mode ppl window off, but I need truncate cities labels too when there are too long and has a part outside the window... : example : at the end of your example :

label 10, 53, -1, 0, 0.12 LONGLONGLABEL

I need this because I generate labels from a big list of cities and I cannot know if each label 'll overlap the window (depending on font, size, ...).

Thanks,

Julien